Yields 8-10 servings
- cup raw (turbinado) sugar*
- teaspoon cinnamon
- Gently heat the cream, milk, sugar and salt in a heavy bottomed pot until it is just about to boil. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, vanilla, bourbon and teaspoon of cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly so that the eggs don't scramble. Add the torn bread pieces and the banana slices to the custard and toss together well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and butter a large baking dish (mine was about 9 inches round with tall 2 inch sides)**
- Pour the bread pudding mixture into the dish. Sprinkle the pudding with the cinnamon and raw sugar mixture. Cover the pudding with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the center is set.
- Remove the foil and cook for another 25-30 minutes, or until the pudding is set in the center. At the very end, put the pudding under the broiler for another 1-2 minutes to crisp up the top. Let the pudding sit for at least a half hour before serving.